There are two types of assessments, educational assessments or psychometric assessments. Educational assessment is the process of documenting, usually in measurable terms, knowledge, skills, attitudes and beliefs. Assessment can focus on the individual learner, the learning community. Psychometrics is the field of study concerned with the theory and technique of educational and psychological measurement, which includes the measurement of knowledge, abilities, attitudes, and personality traits. It involves two major research tasks, namely:
- the construction of instruments and procedures for measurement; and
- the development and refinement of theoretical approaches to measurement.
Part of coaching is about identifying behaviors that we have. Identifying behaviors can be done through the coaching conversation. Every assessment a client takes must lead to action steps. With the client being able to observe themselves through the language of assessment they will form certain conclusions about how the assessment will inform how they want to develop or move forward. Creating action steps will support them.
Tools and assessments do not define the coaching process or determine the conversation or judgments about the client. An assessment is a great way to use language from an independent resource to support the client to see aspects of themselves rather than coming from personal opinions. This distance provides the safety that a client may need to discuss their assessment outcome.
You will find a list of assessments for different purposes on my website link for “assessment”, which will help to work with clients if they are interested in learning more about themselves from the assessment tools:
- Authentic Happiness: The empirical study of positive emotions, strengths-based character and healthy institutions, founded by Dr. Martin Seligman.
- Belbin’s Team Role: The reports offer useful advice to enable individuals to form productive working relation and give advice on how to play the role more effectively.
- Color Code Personality: It’s a personality test based on decades of research by color psychologists around the world.
- Hogan Assessments: The world’s well-known assessments by offering the right solutions for hiring the right people, developing the key talent, and evaluating leadership potential.
- Human Metrics: A numbers of free or cheap personality and relationship tests to identify your personal type and discover life and career choices.
- Keirsey Personality: One of the most widely used personality instrument in the world. It uses 70 questions that helps individuals discover their personality type.
- Lumosity Brain: It’s an easy, web-based brain training program to enhance memory, attention and creativity.
- Myers & Briggs: Also known as MBTI: One of the best-regarded personality test. This website does have a free version but does give a brief overview of the 16 types.
- Queendom Tests: All 88 of its tests are aimed at helping you to identify your personality and enjoy “Serious Entertainment”
- Rate Yourself: It’s a resources for interview questions and help you to deal with the technical questions do not have a definite right or wrong answer.
- RHETI Enneagram Test: The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (RHETI) services as a personality test to indicate you among 9 types of basic personality.
- The Color Code: It uses colors to define personality types, including Red, Blue, White or Yellow
- The Mindgym: Assessment tools, tests and quizzes to get you and your clients thinking! Great for stress and time-management issues.
- VIA Strengths Survey: It’s about the Science of Positive Psychology. 240 questions help you to identify your Character Strengths Profile.