This is not a scientific test but it will give you a general understanding of your brain dominance, either you are Right Brained or Left Brained. Freed et al has created a learning style inventory as below.
Please answer ‘YES’ or ‘NO’ to the following questions.
- Are you better at remembering faces than names?
- When you’re presented with a toy or piece of furniture to assemble, are you likely to discard the printed directions and figure out how to build it yourself?
- Are you better at thinking of ideas if you’re left to concentrate rather than working with a group?
- Do you rely mostly on pictures to remember things, as opposed to names and words?
- Do you have especially acute hearing?
- Do you cut labels out of clothes? Do you favor garments that are especially soft and well- worn, finding most clothing too rough or scratchy?
- Do you tend to put yourself down a lot?
- When you’re asked to spell a word, do you ‘see’ it in your head rather than sound it out phonetically?
- When you’re studying a subject, do you prefer to get the ‘big picture’ as opposed to learning a lot of facts?
- Are you good with puzzles and mazes?
- Can you imagine things well in three dimensions? In other words, can you visualize a cube in your mind, rotate it, and view it from every angle without difficulty?
- Were you considered a late bloomer?
- Did you need to like your teacher to do well in his or her class?
- Are you easily distracted to the point that you find yourself daydreaming a lot?
- Are you a perfectionist to the point that it gets in the way of trying new things?
- Are you ultra-competitive, hating to lose more than most people do?
- Are you good at figuring people out? Do others tell you that you’re good at ‘reading’ people? Is your handwriting below average or poor?
- Is your handwriting below average or poor?
- Were you a late walker or did you have other delayed motor skills as a child?
- When you’re in a new place do you tend to find your way around easily?
The more YES responses you have the more right brained you will be.
- 0-4 yes answers indicate you’re very left brained,
- 5-8 somewhat left brained,
- 9-12 whole brained,
- 13-16, somewhat right brained, and
- 17-20 very right brained.